Advertisement

Fernando Torres prefers MLS or China move this summer - agents

Fernando Torres prefers MLS or China move this summer - agents
From ESPN - April 10, 2018

Departing Atletico Madrid forward Fernando Torres' next career move is likely to take him to the United States or China, according to the former Spain international's agents.

On Monday, the 34-year-old Torres announced his second spell at his boyhood club Atletico would end this summer, saying that he had reluctantly accepted that to play regularly in future he will have to move elsewhere.

There was immediate speculation linking the former Liverpool, Chelsea and Milan player to many different clubs around the globe, with one possibility a reunion with his former Anfield manager Rafa Benitez at Newcastle.

Antonio Sanz, director of communication with Torres' representatives Bahia Internacional, told Radio Marca that while no decision had been made yet over his client's future, Major League Soccer or the Chinese Super League were the two most favoured options at present.

"There is no team yet," Sanz said. "But we do have ideas. One option is the U.S. and another China. Not Europe, nor the Middle East."

The MLS transfer window remains open until May, then reopens again on July 10. Clubs in the Chinese Super League cannot sign players until June 18.

At Monday's announcement, Torres said he wanted "to continue playing for two, three or five years" and would use the next few months to analyse with an open mind whatever offers came his way.

Advertisement

Continue reading at ESPN »