Advertisement

'I just count my millions' - Tomic after failing to qualify for Australian Open

From BBC - January 14, 2018

Bernard Tomic said he was heading home to "count my millions" after failing to qualify for the Australian Open.

The Australian lost 6-1 6-7 (5-7) 6-4 to Italian Lorenzo Sonego in the final round of qualifying in Melbourne.

It will be the first time since 2008 that 25-year-old Tomic has not featured in the main draw, with Tennis Australia having chosen not to offer the world number 142 a wildcard.

"I just count money, that's all I do," he told Channel 7.

"You go do what I did. You go make 13-14 million. Good luck guys. Bye bye."

The remark echoed his reaction to criticism for a lack of commitment in Madrid last year, when he said: "Would you care if you were 23 and worth over $10m?"

A two-time junior Grand Slam champion, Tomic became Australian number one and reached the Wimbledon quarter-finals as an 18-year-old qualifier in 2011.

He reached the third round at last year's Australian Open, but will fall further down the next set of rankings after this qualifying failure.

Local media have reported he is considering taking part in the Australian version of television show I am A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here.

Tomic's previous controversies

Advertisement

Continue reading at BBC »