Advertisement

Chelsea's Marcos Alonso still has World Cup hopes despite Spain snub

Chelsea's Marcos Alonso still has World Cup hopes despite Spain snub
From ESPN - October 12, 2017

Marcos Alonso knows he must continue making headlines at Chelsea to boost his chances of representing Spain at the 2018 World Cup.

The left-back has had a strong start to the campaign with the Blues, scoring two goals in seven league starts.

"It would be a dream come true to play for Spain and help them do well at the World Cup next year," Alonso told Cadena Ser radio. "I have been doing the right things for some time and the news from Chelsea eventually gets there [to Spain]."

Alonso, 26, was a key player for coach Antonio Conte last season, his first year with the Blues, scoring six goals and setting up three more in 31 league starts as Chelsea won the Premier League.

Spain coach Julen Lopetegui has not selected him, though, much to the surprise of the local press, with Marca even asking in a headline back in August: "What does Marcos Alonso have to do more to get a chance to play for Spain?"

Lopetegui admitted last month ahead of Spain's final World Cup qualifiers against Albania and Israel that Alonso was "playing at a high level" but said Spain were covered with Jordi Alba and Nacho Monreal in that position.

"Spain have great players and I hope great things happen next summer," Alonso said. "I have not spoken to him [Lopetegui] but I believe he is monitoring me.

"I am just focusing on doing what I have to do on the pitch. The call-up will come or maybe not. The best way to make a name for yourself is to do well on the pitch. My only focus is to give my all on the pitch and do the best thing possible."

Alonso, who joined Chelsea from Fiorentina last summer, says he is making the most of playing for Conte.

"From the moment I arrived here, I have felt great playing as a starter," he said. "We had a great season and we deserved the Premier league title.

Advertisement

Continue reading at ESPN »