Advertisement

Real Madrid's Gareth Bale admits rushing recovery last season

Real Madrid's Gareth Bale admits rushing recovery last season
From ESPN - July 17, 2017

Real Madrid star Gareth Bale has admitted to rushing his recovery from an ankle operation last season, but says he never thought of returning to the Premier League during his time on the sidelines.

Bale's 2016-17 campaign was derailed by a right ankle tendon injury picked up against Sporting Lisbon in November, and he suffered regular muscle problems after his return to action in February, which cost him his chance of starting in June's Champions League final victory over Juventus.

Speaking to Marca on his 28th birthday, the Wales international said: "Last year the pain made it difficult for me to get fully fit. I worked hard to recover and now I can do a full preseason.

"Last year it bothered me, because you always try to help the team and give your best. Maybe I should have recovered for longer and not tried to force it, but now there is no pain. The ankle is strong and I am ready."

#LaPortada "No he pensado en irme del Madrid". Hoy, en MARCA, entrevista exclusiva a @GarethBale11 https://t.co/s0nGQCSTCs

MARCA (@marca) July 17, 2017

Bale, who joined from Tottenham in 2013, has regularly been linked with Manchester United over the course of recent years but said he had not considered a return to Britain.

"No, it was all very difficult with my injury, but for no other reason," Bale said. "I signed a long-term contract with Madrid, and I am happy at this club. The truth is I do not read [transfer speculation].

Advertisement

Continue reading at ESPN »