Figueroa drops Guerrero five times on way to a KO victory

From ESPN - July 15, 2017

Welterweight Omar Figueroa Jr. returned with a vengeance from a 19-month layoff, dropping Robert Guerrero five times in a third-round-knockout victory in the main event of a Premier Boxing Champions card on Fox on Saturday night at the newly renovated Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum in Uniondale, New York.

The Long Island arena was hosting a boxing event for the first time since Mike Tyson fought there in 1986, and Figueroa, a former lightweight world titleholder, showed the kind of aggressiveness before the crowd of 7,492 that the old Iron Mike used to display.

After Guerrero (33-6-1, 18 KOs) had a good first round, Figueroa (27-0-1, 19 KOs) went to work and turned Guerrero into a punching bag in a fight that featured plenty of action but was one-sided. After the fight Guerrero was taken to Nassau University Medical Center for precautionary reasons.

Figueroa took the time off in large part because of his chronically injured hands, which he estimates he has broken six or seven times. He said the layoff let his hands rest and that he felt good in his return as Guerrero suffered the first knockout loss of his career.

"I am finally healthy. That's it," Figueroa said. "He put up a great effort. My respect to Robert. It's an honor to be sharing the same ring with him and even better to beat him."

In the second round, Figueroa landed a massive left uppercut that snapped Guerrero's head back and knocked him down barely a minute into the round. Guerrero mounted a brief comeback but was soon down again from a right hand. And then it was a pair of left hands that sent him to the mat with about 20 seconds to go.

"We threw the punches we practiced a lot in training camp, the left uppercut. It just happened to work," Figueroa said.

Guerrero, 34, of Gilroy, California, coming off an 11-month layoff, appeared to have weathered the storm when he came out fast for the third round and forced Figueroa into the corner, but Figueroa did not waiver. He fired back a right hand and Guerrero went down for the fourth times. Moments later, Figueroa landed a left hand to the body and Guerrero went down to a knee, and referee Ron Lipton waved it off at 1 minute, 34 seconds.

According to CompuBox punch statistics, Figueroa landed 88 of 185 punches (48 percent), and Guerrero, a southpaw, landed 78 of 201 (39 percent).

Although Figueroa, 27, of Weslaco, Texas, looked good as a welterweight, he said he wants to go down to junior welterweight to look for a world title.

"I felt good. I want to win a title at 140," said Figueroa, who held a lightweight world title from 2013 to 2014 before moving up in weight.

For Guerrero, who has not looked good in years, the loss appears to be the end of the road for him at least in terms of major televised fights.

He has won world titles at featherweight and junior lightweight, as well as interim belts at lightweight and welterweight, but now has lost five of his past seven fights; it easily could have been six losses in that span but for kind scorecards in a 2015 bout with Aron Martinez.

Browne destroys Monaghan

Light heavyweight Marcus Browne, a 2012 U.S. Olympian, spent time in the gym sparring with Seanie Monaghan and they have been friends for several years. But when it came to the real fight, Browne destroyed his former sparring partner and pal in two rounds in front of Monaghan's hometown crowd.

"I want thank Sean for giving me the opportunity and taking the fight," Browne said. "It was very tough. This is a guy I got love for, but I just had to take care of business and do what I had to do."

Browne (20-0, 15 KOs), a southpaw from Staten Island, New York, got off to a strong start, knocking down Monaghan, a Long Island fan favorite, with a clean straight left hand about 30 seconds into the fight. Monaghan (28-1, 17 KOs) also was hurt by a left hand that strayed below the belt, and referee Steve Willis warned Browne for the foul.

Kownacki drills Szpilka


Continue reading at ESPN »